Monday, March 26

Tropical Traditions Gold Label Organic Virgin Coconut Oil


I was recently given the opportunity to try out a 32 oz jar of  Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions. I jumped at the chance and took the plunge. Nick and I love trying out new ways to make our lives healthier and use more organic products. I first heard about Tropical Traditions through other blog reviews and giveaways. I've visited their website a few times and love the selection of household cleaners and soaps they carry. I also learned that traditionally made coconut oils are very high in antioxidants.

When it first arrived at and I took it out f the box, I thought that they sent the wrong product. It was solid, not a liquid! It was a creamy white and smelled faintly of coconuts. When it got a chance to sit out and get to room temperature, it turned clear and back to an oil with small pieces of coconut at the bottom of the jar. Very interesting!

I've been using the coconut oil as a substitute for my usual oil of choice, EVOO. Extra virgin olive oil to those of you that haven't watched Rachael Ray's cooking show. I was a little hesitant to try this as a replacement in my cooking. Why? It has a very light but noticeable coconut scent. I wasn't sure how it would affect my cooking to be honest. In the end, the health benefits coconut oil offers won.

We've been using the Virgin Coconut Oil for two weeks now. I've tried it in every way I could think of. We've made french fries, baked cakes, made pasta dishes, grilled vegetables, used it in marinades, and I even used it in my hair. It has a lighter feeling then olive oil in my hair and helped keep it from frizzing and moisturized. I really liked the coconut smell the oil left in my hair.


The last thing I used it to make was a Devils Food cake. Can you see how fluffy it made the batter? You could smell the coconut and chocolate as the cake was in the oven. It smelled so delicious! Nick and I couldn't wait to try it as you can see below...


The cake came out so moist. I couldn't believe it! It was more like eating one of those molten lava cakes. It was so rich and chocolaty. When the cake cooled completely it hardened almost to the consistency of a chocolate bar and only then could you taste the coconut.

If you would like more information or coconut recipes, please visit TropicalTraditions.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment