Monday, June 25

How to keep cool while keeping up your Gothic look

Trying to keep up my usual Gothic look during the Summer heat and humidity in the South is a new and difficult task for me. I'm going to keep trying until I have it down.

Taking care of your nails and hands. Most people forget to apply sunscreen to the backs of their hands. Why? Your hands will get sun burnt, too! I like to use a thicker sunscreen lotion with a higher SPF than the rest of my body. I keep my nails short and well groomed. I find that I like to experiment with color more on my nails during the warmer months. You'll never find anything neon on this girl!

Thinner, breathable materials and fabrics. I am wearing a lot more thin cotton t-shirts and tank tops then in California. I also have been wearing shorter skirts and shorts, knee-length is nice. Pick out a flowing material, they don't stick to your skin as much and you can feel the occasional breeze if there is one. Wearing some nice tights or fishnets underneath looks beautiful and can help stretch out your wardrobe. You can also find some decent second hand Tripp bondage shorts on Ebay.

Changing your hair. Finding that your long black locks just stick to you and frizz like crazy in this humidity? You're not alone! I cut off two feet of my hair and I feel soooo much cooler now! Maybe getting a new haircut isn't your thing. How about dying it a lighter or unnatural shade? Black was getting too hot, so I dyed mine a nice black cherry. You could also experiment with different up-dos. Ponytails, buns, braids... Send me pictures of what you come up with!

Footwear. Put the knee-high boots back into the closet. Your feet will thank you. How about sandals? Tennis shoes? Converse? Ankle boots? I'm sure you can find something that will fit in with the rest of your look and help keep you cool and your tootsies happy.

Protection from that big evil burning thing in the sky. Wide brimmed hats, parasols, visors, hiding indoors, sunscreen, sunscreen, and more sunscreen. Sunburn is one of the things I hate most about the Summer months. I layer on the highest SPF I can find and still burn. I'm not sure how, but I've gotten a nice tan on my arms and back. The rest of my body is still Casper white.

Gothic war paint. Also lovingly referred to as make-up. Try less foundation and switching to water proof/smudge proof options. Also, investing in a nice primer or setting spray will help you save face. No pun intended. Anything with added SPF protection is also nice!

Have anything you would like to add to this? Please feel free to send me a message or leave a comment below.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment